59 posts tagged Trend watch
Trend Watch: Bold Necklaces
The biggest jewelry trend (both literally and figuratively) this fall is, without a doubt, bold necklaces. Helmed by street style icons like Miroslava Duma and Leandra Medine, large ornate necklaces have caught on with a vengeance and were a constant presence outside shows in New York, London, Milan, and Paris this fashion month. We love these large and in charge necklaces as the perfect fall jewelry that won’t get lost in the weave of heavy knit sweaters like their more delicate counterparts might.
1. Swarovski 2. Paula Bianco 3. Lulu Frost for J Crew 4. Lanvin 5. Heaven Tanudiredja 6. Tom Binns 7. Zara 8. Michael Kors 9. Alexander McQueen 10. Oscar de la Renta 12. Stella & Dot 13. Giuseppe Zanotti 14. BCBG 15. Dannijo 16. Bimba & Lola 17. Moran Porat
How will you be wearing this trend?
Trend Watch: Brocade
Designers have long referenced vintage designs in their creations, but this fall, some of them are looking farther back than usual. No, not the Roaring 20s or even the Victorian Era, but the Late Middle Ages. From Jill Stuart to Marchesa and Proenza Schouler to Jason Wu, we saw piece after piece sewn from rich brocades a la Queen Elizabeth I. But these dresses, trousers, tops, and coats hardly resembled museum pieces. Cut in modern shapes and paired with basics that let them stand out, this attention-grabbing trend is a sure fire way to make a royal-worthy statement.
1. Proenza Schouler 2. Huishan Zhang 3. Stella McCartney 4. Oscar de la Renta 5. Matthew Williamson 7. Osman 8. Roseanna 9. Jason Wu 10. Opening Ceremony
Will you be wearing this regal trend this fall?
Trend Watch: Metallics
Perhaps inspired by the Olympics, designers had their eyes on the gold (and silver and bronze, for that matter) when creating their fall collections. Shiny metallic pieces graced the runways at the likes of Ralph Lauren, Rag & Bone, and Dolce & Gabbana, to name a few. Not to mention the pantsuit at Marni that redefined “gilding the lily”. The trick to pulling off this trend is to buy your metallic treasures in luxe fabrics and tailored silhouettes to avoid looking cheap. Play dress-up in a mixed metallic brocade dress or, do as Anne-Catherine Frey did at Paris Fashion Week, and pair a golden skirt with a casual tee and booties. Either way, you’re sure to get a gold star.
1. Marni 2. Rag & Bone 3. Temperley London 4. Topshop 5. Rochas 6. Balenciaga 7. 3.1 Phillip Lim
Trend Watch: Turtlenecks
Once reserved solely for grandmothers, librarians, and teachers in holiday vests, the turtleneck has had a long way to climb to get back into our good sartorial graces. Dominating the fall 2012 runways, we saw turtlenecks under dresses and moto jackets at Rag & Bone, and over feminine skirts and dresses as Michael Kors. And who can forget the chin covering mesh turtlenecks at Alexander Wang? This is a bold trend for bundling up in the rapidly dropping temperatures while achieving a striking look in the process.
1. Alexander Wang 2. Versace 3. Helmut Lang 4. Tracy Reese 5. Erdem 6. Mulberry 7. DSquared2 8. Matthew Williamson 9. Rag & Bone 10. Schumacher 11. Joseph 12. Michael Kors
How will you be wearing your turtlenecks this fall?
Trend Watch: Prep School
This fall, fashion is going back to school with a supply list that includes pleated skirts, perfectly cut blazers, collared shirts, and tasseled loafers. Mix and match librarian-chic textures and prints like houndstooth, plaid, and herringbone with silk shirts and patterned socks. Top it all off with an old-school style bag for a look that will take you back to the excitement of the first day of school…without all the homework.
1. Ralph Lauren 2. Cutler and Gross 3. Robert Talbot 4. Burberry Prorsum 5. Aubin & Wills 6. MCQ Alexander McQueen 7. Theysken’s Theory 8. Kelly & Katie 9. Frye 10. Asos 11. Sheinside 12. Proenza Schouler
What was your favorite part about going back to school?
Trend Watch: Gloves
These cold weather staples aren’t just to keep your fingers from freezing anymore. This fall, designers are looking back to bygone eras when gloves were the must-have accessory for fashion forward women. With a stock of studded, lacy, oxblood, graphic, and embellished gloves to choose from, this trend is a smart way to experiment with other fall trends without having to commit to the full head-to-toe look (or breaking the bank).
1. Burberry Prorsum 2. Valentino 3. Topshop 4. Dolce & Gabbana 5. Lanvin 6. Todd Lynn Tabai 7. Kate Spade 8. Lord & Taylor 9. Moschino Cheap & Chic 10. Joseph M 11. Valentino 12. Kenzo 13. Tory Burch f/w 2012
Where will you be shopping for this fall trend?
Trend Watch: The Great Outdoors
With all of the shorts, cropped jackets, and summer dresses that have been prancing down runways the last three weeks, it’s easy to forget that cooler weather is one its way. Luckily, our darling loving designers thought ahead for us, and this fall trend can be described in one, surprising word: lumberjack. Typically the Paul Bunyan-type is the last style we’d think to emulate, but this season, with a wide range of padded coats trimmed in fur, mid-length plaid skirts, fair isle socks, and knubbly sweaters from designers like Michael Kors and Rodarte to choose from, we might just be persuaded.
1. Marc by Marc Jacobs 2. Blonde & Blonde 3. Dorothy Perkins 4. Tory Burch 5. Rodarte 6. Spell 7. J Crew 8. Missoni 9. French Connection 10. Rocio 11. Michael Kors 12. Elizabeth and James 13. Ann Taylor 14. All Saints 15. Rag & Bone 16. socks - People Tree; boots - Sergio Rossi 17. Tommy Hilfiger
How would you wear this trend?
Trend Watch: Graphic Sweaters
This trend has been on the rise for the last couple of years. What started with cutesy images of beloved Disney characters (H&M Bambi sweater anyone?) has grown up. These new sophisticated graphics from the likes of Preen, Dolce and Gabbana, Alexander McQueen, and Phillip Lim are cool, comfortable, and oh-so modern.
1. Acne 2. Dolce & Gabbana 3. Kenzo 4. Mulberry 5. 3.1 Phillip Lim 6. Sonia Rykiel 7. Preen 8. Topshop 9. Proenza Schouler 10. Diane de Clercq 11. Madewell 12. J Crew 13. Altuzarra 14. Alexander McQueen 15. Markus Lupfer 16. Madewell 17. Aubin & Wills 18. Diesel Black Gold a/w 2012
Which of these stellar sweaters do you want in your closet right now?
Trend Watch: Studs
Our favorite spiky embellishment has gotten a makeover for fall. No longer must you fear injuring innocent bystanders merely by bumping into them. Designers have provided us with a new set of studded beauties featuring flattened, miniature, and rounded nail heads. With bags, dresses, blouses, booties, and more sporting these more feminized-yet-tough details, this trend is the perfect way to infuse a little downtown cool into your fall wardrobe. Would you wear this trend?
1. Prada 2. Alice by Temperley 3. Rebecca Minkoff 4. Alaïa 5. Chloé 6. Miss Selfridge 7. Alexis Bittar 8. Sonia Rykiel 9. Michael Kors 10. Dorothy Perkins 11. Jeffrey Campbell
Trend Watch: Oversized Clutches
Oversized clutches were seen under the arms of many a trendsetter and tastemaker this past fashion week. This sophisticated trend is perfect for carrying magazines, your iPad and any other necessities formerly reserved only for briefcases, boho bags, and backpacks. We love the oversized clutch as the ideal piece that can take you from carryall during the day to bold statement at night.