14 posts tagged Alexander Wang
Trend Watch: Tough Tweed
Your grandmother’s favorite fabric has gotten a tough update for fall. This season, we saw tweed in motorcycle-esque jackets, body hugging dresses, leather trimmed tops, and bold box-pleat skirts.
1. Tibi 2. Alexander Wang 3. J Mendel 4. Erdem 5. Rebecca Taylor 6. Dorothy Perkins 7. Derek Lam 8. Vanessa Bruno Athe 9. Givenchy 10. Mulberry 11. Kenzo 12. Tibi 13. Proenza Schouler 14. Oscar de la Renta
Alexander Wang Takes Over at Balenciaga
It’s likely that you’ve already heard the news, but we would be remiss in not reporting on the biggest story in fashion this week. Alexander Wang, the genius designer behind one of the most talked about spring collections at New York Fashion Week, has been brought on as the new creative director for French fashion house Balenciaga. Speculated by fashion insiders weeks in advance, the appointment was announced on Monday. Effective immediately, Wang will have complete control over the luxury brand’s ready-to-wear line and accessories, as well as imaging and branding. The fashion world is already buzzing with excitement over this new change with many critics wondering if Wang will bring a more casual, streetwise approach to the avant garde line. All we know is that, come February, his fall collection for Balenciaga is likely to be one of the most anticipated of the season.
Image via NY Mag.
Trend Watch: Tall Black Boots
When it comes to boots, this fall is a season of extremes. In stark contrast to the ankle boot trend, we are seeing oodles of sky high tall black boots. To-the-knee and over-the-knee boots were seen at Alexander Wang, Proenza Schouler, Nina Ricci, and Givenchy. Sleek, sophisticated, and in that perfect shade of multipurpose black, these boots are definitely worth the investment.
1. Alexander Wang 2. Gucci 3. Dorothy Perkins 4. Tory Burch 5. Givenchy 6. Marni 7. Valentino 8. Balenciaga
Trend Watch: Varsity Jackets
Designers were not just reminiscing about prep school this fall, they were also remembering school sports. Varsity jackets, or variations of, were seen at Anna Sui, Alexander Wang, and Proenza Schouler. While some have given us more literal interpretations, others created varsity jackets in the abstract, borrowing elements from the iconic sportswear, but reinventing the look. This would be a good time to get out your old letter jacket and show off your past athletic achievements. Or, if your school didn’t give them to members of the debate team, check out some of these fashionable versions.
1. Anna Sui via The Cut 2. Madewell 3. IRO 4. Stella McCartney 5. JW Anderson for Topshop 6. Prabal Gurung 7. Marc by Marc Jacobs 8. Kris Van Assche 9. Golden Bear 10. Alexander Wang 11. Proenza Schouler via The Cut
Will you be rocking this old school favorite?
Trend Watch: Turtlenecks
Once reserved solely for grandmothers, librarians, and teachers in holiday vests, the turtleneck has had a long way to climb to get back into our good sartorial graces. Dominating the fall 2012 runways, we saw turtlenecks under dresses and moto jackets at Rag & Bone, and over feminine skirts and dresses as Michael Kors. And who can forget the chin covering mesh turtlenecks at Alexander Wang? This is a bold trend for bundling up in the rapidly dropping temperatures while achieving a striking look in the process.
1. Alexander Wang 2. Versace 3. Helmut Lang 4. Tracy Reese 5. Erdem 6. Mulberry 7. DSquared2 8. Matthew Williamson 9. Rag & Bone 10. Schumacher 11. Joseph 12. Michael Kors
How will you be wearing your turtlenecks this fall?
Spring 2013 New York Fashion Week is wrapping up, with London’s already upon us. It was a whirlwind of visual stimulation as designers pulled out all the stops, offering up reinterpretations of vintage classics and some brand new ideas for spring. Here are five shows that stood out above the rest.
All photos via Vogue.com
Trend Watch: Oxblood
From the Fall/Winter 2012 runways last spring and now on the streets during New York Fashion Week, oxblood is ruling supreme as the color of fall. And it’s on everything: dresses, coats, sweaters, pants, shoes, bags, and more. With so many chic choices, this rich trend seems entirely irresistible.
1. Alexander McQueen 2. Derek Lam 3. Alexander Wang 4. Dorothy Perkins 5. Topshop 6. Asos 7. All Saints 8. Alexander McQueen 9. Asos 10. Bailey Hats 11. eLuxe
Trend Watch: Velvet
Once reserved for royalty, this luxurious fabric was popping up in fall collections from Burberry to Ralph Lauren. With designers making everything from dresses to blazers to shorts and more, we’re pretty sure that this plush trend is here to stay.
1. Lanvin 2. Balmain Devoré 3. To Be Adored 4. Emilio Pucci 5. Monsoon 6. Valentino 7. Mango 8. Modcloth 9. Wildfox 10. Topshop 11. River Island 12. Alexander Wang 13. Ralph Lauren
Trend Watch: Sporty Chic
Why just cheer for your favorite Olympic athletes? With this sleek trend, now you can dress like them. From dresses to shorts to shoes and more, the options are as limitless as they are cool. Just make sure to stretch first.
1. Alexander Wang 2. Markus Lupfer 3. Diane von Furstenberg 4. Whistles 5. Alexander Wang 6. Stella McCartney 7. Marni 8. DKNY